Trump Deploys 1,000 More U.S. Troops To The Middle East After Claiming Iran Responsible For Oil Tanker Attacks
Tensions between the U.S. and Iran are on the rise after two oil tankers were attacked in the Gulf of Oman on the Strait of Hormuz last week.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence on hostile behavior by the Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” said the U.S. Central Command in a statement released earlier today.
The two oil tankers belonged to a Norweigan company called Frontline, and the other was owned by a Japanese company called Kokura Courageous. The tankers were both traveling through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most significant shipping routes.
The Pentagon has approved 1,000 troops to be sent to the Middle East for defensive purposes to address any additional threats, according to the Acting of Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan.
“It’s unmistakable what happened here, these were attacks by the Islamic Republic of Iran on commercial shipping on the freedom of navigation with a clear intent to deny transit through the Strait this was the Gulf of Oman side,” said Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo in a Fox News interview with Chris Wallace.
The Pentagon released images last week claiming ‘evidence’ that Iran was responsible for the attacks.
“We’ll see what happens with Iran if they do anything it would be a very bad mistake if they do anything,” said President Donald Trump in May to reporters at the White House.
That came after four oil tankers were attacked off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, which the U.S. also claiming Iran responsible.
A U.S. military drone was shot down in Yemen on June 6, and another was targeted by in the Gulf Of Oman, according to the U.S. Central Command, which also claimed Iran responsible.
“President Trump has done everything he can to avoid war, we don’t want war,” said Pompeo.
Iran has denied responsibility for the attacks on the oil tankers.
“The U.S. immediately jumped to make allegations against Iran without a shred of factual or circumstantial evidence,” said Iran Foreign Minister Javad Zarif.