Houston Police say a woman and her eight-year-old daughter were found dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning after the woman started the car in the garage to try to stay warm in the Texas freeze. 

The Houston Police Department along with Houston Fire Department were dispatched on a welfare check Feb. 16 at a condominium in the 8300 block of La Roche near Jackwood in southwest Houston. When they arrived, they found two adults and two children affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

RELATED: Texas Winter Storm Now a Federal State of Emergency

The woman and the eight-year-old girl did not survive, but the man and seven-year-old boy were taken to the hospital. 

HPD tweeted, “Initial indications are that (a) car was running in the attached garage to create heat as the power is out.” 

“Cars, grills and generators should not be used in or near a building,” HPD said in the tweet.

Authorities say the woman was sitting in the running car in a garage attached to her home, talking on the phone with a relative in Colorado. The woman became disoriented and passed out, and the relative on the phone called HPD immediately

It’s a very difficult time. A lot of people are without power,” HPD Lt. Larry Crowson said in a statement.

“I know it’s cold, but you’ve got to be careful about using generators or cars inside a garage, or any type of fire, grill or charcoal grill. Carbon monoxide is odorless and can kill people very easily,” Crowson said.

Texas and a large part of the central U.S. are experiencing devastating winter storms, power outages and dangerously low temperatures. Between the dozens of states affected by the dangerous temperatures, at least 20 people have died so far from weather-related incidents.

Written ByHaley Weger

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *